Robert was called to the Bar in 2016 and completed pupillage specialising in complex commercial disputes. He is developing a broad civil practice, with regular court advocacy, as well as drafting statements of case and providing written advice.
Robert’s practice encompasses contractual disputes, banking & finance, property, landlord & tenant, and insolvency.
Prior to being called the bar, Robert spent over twenty years working in financial services, establishing and successfully growing a LLP and accumulating considerable commercial experience. He is well-placed to advise and represent banks and commercial litigants.
Before that Robert spent six years in the British Army, leaving as a Captain in the Royal Engineers.
Robert has appeared in a wide range of hearings including trials, appeals and applications, such as applications for urgent commercial injunctions, applications to set aside default judgment, applications to strike out statements of case, applications for relief from sanctions, applications under the Companies Act 2006, applications under the Insolvency Act 1986, Winding-Up Petitions, vesting orders and possession claims (both residential and commercial). He has appeared in the County Court, High Court and Court of Appeal.
2016 Barstow Scholarship, City Law School
2015 Denning Scholarship, Lincoln’s Inn
2015 Excellence award, University of Law
Commercial & Contractual Disputes
Finance & Banking
Property, landlord and tenant disputes
General Civil Litigation
2015 – 2016 – Bar Professional Training Course, City Law School (Outstanding, ranked 3rd on course)
2014 – 2015 – Graduate Diploma in Law, University of Law (Distinction)
Examples of recent instructions include:
• Successfully obtained an urgent interim injunction for a commercial laundry whose machines had been rendered inoperable by the lessor’s agents in a dispute over lease payments.
• Represented a property developer at trial defending a claim from the buyer of the property.
• Advised a potential claimant on whether a signatory to a commercial equipment lease was acting as agent for the financing counterparty.
• Acted for a company in a multi-track claim against a former senior employee for misuse of company funds.
• Successfully resisted a challenge to detailed assessment of costs by a claimant who had discontinued proceedings.
• Advised the potential claimant on the effect of an undisclosed commission received by his bank in connection with a £10 million investment.
• Prepared an application for a worldwide freezing order against the fraudulent operator of a foreign exchange business (as pupil to Duncan Macpherson).
• Advised the borrower under a $5m facility agreement on whether it could be rescinded following discovery of a secret commission received by their agent.
Banking & Finance
• Drafted pleadings in a Letters of Credit dispute between two commercial banks.
• Advised the potential claimant on the merits of the claim in respect of losses incurred on a regulated pension product.
• Represented the Defendant bank against a mis-selling claim where the terms of a prior settlement were challenged.
• Counsel for the Respondent opposing an application to seek, on a derivative basis, an injunction to restrain presentation of a Winding-Up Petition in a one-day hearing in the High Court.
• Represented the Respondents in a high-value cross-border insolvency matter, opposing an application by a trustee-in-bankruptcy for a Proprietary Injunction and Receivership Order in the High Court.
• Assisted (as pupil to Duncan Macpherson) in Birdi v Price  EWHC 2943 (Ch), a “tools of the trade” claim against a trustee-in-bankruptcy
• Represented the Appellant in Kuznetsov v Amazon Services Europe SARL  EWCA Civ 964, an appeal concerning the court’s jurisdiction to set aside a judgment some 15 months after it was entered.
• Researched points of law (as pupil to Andrew Fulton) in Sabbagh v Khoury  EWCA Civ 1120: a jurisdictional challenge on five grounds to a US$600m claim relating to allegations of conspiracy, including an application for a stay of proceedings under section 9 of the Arbitration Act 1996 and an application for an anti-arbitration injunction to restrain a foreign-seated arbitration.
• Prepared arguments to resist enforcement of a Cypriot anti-suit injunction in the High Court (as pupil to Jonathan Miller).
• Acted for a claimant seeking permission from the High Court to serve proceedings out of the jurisdiction on non-EU domiciled persons.
• Acted for a claimant successfully opposing a jurisdiction challenge by a defendant who sought to rely on an arbitration agreement, alternatively an exclusive jurisdiction agreement in favour of the courts of the State of Delaware.
Property, Landlord & Tenant:
• Successfully acted for mortgagee-in-possession in forfeiture of a commercial lease and substitution of parties.
• Successfully represented the claimant tenant, obtaining substantial damages for unlawful eviction in a two-day Fast-Track trial.
• Prepared Appellant’s Notice and successfully appeared on behalf the tenant in one-day appeal hearing against a possession order and money judgment.
• Acted for the respondent landlord opposing the tenant’s appeal dismissing his claim under the Housing Act 2004, s.214 on the grounds that the prescribed information was given too early.
• Acted for a leaseholder successfully claiming extension under the Leasehold Reform, Housing and Urban Development Act 1993, s.49.
• Advised the beneficiary of a trust and drafted a Part 8 claim for issue in the High Court for conveyance of property under the rule in Saunders v Vautier.
• Drafted the Defence to a claim for a constructive trust.
• Drafted statements of case and acted for a party claiming an account and an inquiry under a constructive trust.
• Successfully obtained a declaration that a Deed of Trust was void for want of capacity.
• Advised on, and prepared an application for, restoration of a company to the register under the Companies Act, s.1024.
Skills & Interest
Away from Chambers, Robert is often to be found on his 1952 Ferguson tractor or looking after his rare-breed Tamworth pigs.
2010 - present
2010 - present